The best part about Beef Stroganoff, besides its homey, hearty flavor, is the EGG NOODLES that come on the bottom. For a pasta lover like me, they’re perfect: big, fluffy, and just flavorful enough to add some deep satisfaction to the fork of it going into your mouth. They’re probably at least 75% of the reason I love this meal.
- 1 3 - 4 lb. beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 -3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 - 1 cup sour cream
- 12 - 16 oz. egg noodles
- Slice beef into strips. Salt and pepper all pieces well.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium high with deep edges and sear beef for 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from pan (does NOT have to be completely browned).
- Roughly chop onions and mushrooms, then cook them and thyme in the same pan the beef was in at a lower temperature (medium to medium high) for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add beef back to the pan and add flour. Stir to coat and combine evenly, then cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Boil water and cook egg noodles as directed.
- Remove the beef mixture from heat and stir in sour cream until smooth, using more or less to taste.
- Serve beef mixture over noodles.