I’ve been trying really, really hard to start liking kale. I prefer spinach for its softer texture and slightly less earthy flavor – and there aren’t any ruffles on the leaves that stay firm after a few minutes of heat. BUT this recipe has finally pulled me in. With enough garlic and cheese, kale can be pretty great. I’m turned. I set the kale in this recipe aside covered to give it some extra time to soften, but you can keep your kale crunchy by stirring it in during the final steps if you want. Either way, you’ll definitely love this Parmesan Sausage & Kale Pasta. I hope all lovers and non-lovers of kale can enjoy this one the way I do!
- 1 lb. ground italian sausage
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 2 - 4 cups kale, fresh and chopped
- 3 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
- Saute garlic in oil over medium heat in a large skillet with deep edges.
- Add kale and cook for 5 - 8 minutes or until softened. Set aside and cover.
- Brown sausage in the skillet, then set aside with kale. Do not drain.
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- Add flour to the skillet and mix with pan drippings, cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, then chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add cheese to milk mixture slowly, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Combine pasta, sausage, kale, and sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Serve warm.