Meet the most creamy, savory, butter-less stuffed mushroom you’ve ever tasted. Mushrooms stuffed with crunchy, salty breadcrumb mixtures are still a top-notch snack, but they fall second to these. The earthy taste we love about mushrooms has a spicy italian kick that gets cut by the creaminess of the stuffing. Baked to perfection and then – yes! – served as finger food, although you might want a fork. As a bonus, I keep the leftover filling and broil it on toast for a few minutes. I know I’m a glutton.
- 2 lbs. mushrooms
- 1 lb. italian sausage
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Gently clean the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel and de-stem.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, spices, worcestershire sauce, cheese, and sausage, stirring until smooth.
- Place the mushroom caps top side down on a greased baking sheet, then spoon the sausage mixture into each top.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Serve hot.