I never used to like pesto growing up. I mean, who wants to eat something that looks green and gritty? Little did I know that one of my favorite herbs was the main ingredient! Imagine my surprise (and indulgence) when an old roommate let me try some when she was making it. It started a new phase in my life that included all things basil and pesto, and American Horror Story too, if I’m remembering correctly.
Anyway, besides a super basic chicken pesto pasta, this was one of my first pesto recipes, and it’s one of my household’s favorites. The ground turkey keeps the recipe low in fat and leaves all the flavor fun to be had with the pesto and feta cheeses. As easy and flavorful as these are, it’s almost saddening to think that I never would have tried them if I never gave pesto a chance.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 2 Tbsp. pesto
- 1/2 red onion
- 6 - 10 fresh basil leaves
- blue cheese crumbles
- hamburger buns
- Combine the turkey, breadcrumbs, feta cheese, and pesto in a bowl - easiest using your hands.
- Shape the ground turkey pesto mixture into 4 patties, then cook in a greased skillet over medium heat for 5 - 8 minutes per side.
- Slice red onion thinly and chop the basil.
- Serve cooked patties on hamburger buns topped with red onion, basil, and blue cheese.